Thursday, February 7, 2013

Book Review 2


Gene Luen Yang’s book American Born Chinese entertained me with the comedy stuffing is this piece of literature.

The theme in this book is that you should always be happy with who you are and not with what you want to be. First is the Monkey King wanted to be something different, but that ended up with him underneath a huge pile of rocks. Then, the Monkey King’s son wanted to be something different and he became a human, but when he came to Earth he was made fun of at school. And last Kin-chee tried to be something different when he came to visit his cousin Danny in America, but he proceeded to be made fun of but in the end he ended up being the Monkey King.

The setting of this book is in ancient times in the beginning in China. Then the book makes a major jump to modern times in America. But once the setting makes it to America, the setting takes place at Danny’s school.

I can relate to this book because I have family that I am embarrassed, of like Danny is of Kin-Chee. Second I have been the kid at school who has made fun of like the Monkey King’s son. And last I can relate because I have often wanted to be a different person some times during my life.

I would give this book a 4 on the recommendation scale. I was entertained by this book, but it was not the best book I have ever read. `       

No comments:

Post a Comment